Become An Instructor
Freedom instructors are the brightly-colored crayons, the hopeful, brave souls who want to teach, share and lift others up. Yes, our instructors present great classes and occasionally get to be ‘stars’ but they are and do much more than just teach group exercise routines.
Freedom instructors are leaders – however global or local their scope, and whether or not they get all the credit.
Being an instructor is fun, meaningful and incredibly fulfilling. And it also involves self-awareness and work.
Our instructors get huge support in that work from fellow instructors who develop and offer their knowledge, enthusiasm and professionalism, but also their generosity and hearts.
Beyond our initial Instructor Certification, we believe in offering continuing education and professional development opportunities for our instructors at all levels. These advanced courses range from leadership and inner awareness to the various outer skills involved in teaching, coaching and community building. Please see our Advanced Education section below.
We also believe in encouraging people to exercise and to aspire to be an instructor if they so desire. We allow enthusiastic participants to audit our Instructor Workshops. These individuals are known as “Advanced Participants”. Please see below for more information on Advanced Participants.
Please join us at one of our upcoming Instructor Workshops! See below for more details.
Instructor Certification Workshops
- Comprehensive 2-day in-person workshop with Freedom Group Exercise Master Trainer
- Hands-on learning on the science and art of effective group exercise instruction
- Multiple, individualized observed practice tracks and feedback over the 2 days, including individualized strengths and improvement points
- Option to audit and fully participate in the Workshop (without presenting) as an Advanced Participant (see below)
- Personalized evaluation of your post-Workshop submission video
- Complete Freedom Group Exercise Instructor Workshop Manual with group exercise instruction principles, exercise examples, class formats, templates and more
- 2018 Continuing Education Credits (CECs)
- ACE: 1.5 CECs for Freedom Barre, 1.4 CECs for BANG (highest number of ACE credits for a mixed fitness instructor workshop)
- AFAA: 14 CECs (highest number of AFAA credits for a mixed fitness instructor workshop)
- NASM: 1.4 CECs (highest number of NASM credits for a mixed fitness instructor workshop)
- Downloadable classes from start to finish with complete videos & music files
- Optional access to 400+ proprietary Freedom Group Exercise Video Library of classes, routines and modules you can start plugging in right away to keep your classes fresh, packed and challenging for your participants
- Freedom community and support: “Instructor-only” Facebook group with job postings, teaching tips, discounts on clothing & equipment, marketing materials and your own listing on our webpage in our searchable “Classes” section
- Complete Playlists, including original music and remixes by in-house music producers DJ BANG and DJ FREEDOM
- Everything you need to pack your classes and inspire others to get fit!
& Video Library
At your training, you will also have the option to purchase access to the complete music/video library of current and prior releases, which can be accessed anywhere WiFi is available, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This video library provides you 450+ routines you can start plugging in to your classes right away to keep them fresh and challenging for your participants.
To maintain active Instructor status, Instructors must keep their subscription current.
Instructors have the option to freeze their subscription for up to one year.
We Lift Each Other Up
- A new or even a very experienced instructor may need help (and doesn’t want to ask or want anyone to know)
- A group exercise manager may be struggling with a program or personnel challenge
- Someone may be battling one of a thousand different professional or personal circumstances
So we help each other. Even if it’s behind the scenes or costs us some of the glory, we help each other. And we think generosity counts double if no one knows who thought of it or who did it.
In addition to ‘leader’ and ‘teammate’, there are other roles we at Freedom believe make a truly great instructor.
Help others grow and find inner strength as well as outer fitness. And find new things in yourself along the way.
Please join us for an upcoming Instructor Workshop to learn more about those instructor roles and the variety of tools we’ve developed to empower you on your journey.
Preparing For Your Instructor Workshop
In your email you will find your personal track assignment so you’ll have time to practice and prepare before the workshop. You will have two opportunities to present your track during the weekend with other instructor trainees as your “participants”.
Instructor Advanced Education
Get Connected. Stay Connected.
Freedom Group Exercise-certified instructors have the opportunity to participate in our comprehensive Advanced Education program.
We believe in offering continuing education and professional development opportunities for our instructors at all levels. These advanced courses will range from leadership and inner awareness to various technique, teaching and community-building skills.
The courses will give instructors the opportunity to get even better – to practice inner/outer leadership and class delivery and receive individualized coaching and feedback from Freedom trainers. These courses will also cover the latest teaching refinements and key technique touch points in the latest releases.
In the Spring of 2018, we began offering Skills Workshop I, a technique and skills workshop with a certified FGE master trainer leading the review and practice of specific techniques, choreography, cueing and coaching from BANG or Freedom Barre.
Please check back here and the Instructor Workshops page for details on upcoming advanced instructor workshops.
Freedom Group Exercise Facebook Groups
The private Instructor/Trainee group is separate from and in addition to the public Freedom Group Exercise Facebook page, which anyone can join, that highlights our upcoming events, news, trainings, apparel, equipment and discussions.
Freedom Group Exercise (FGE) creator Amanda Strand also has a personal Facebook page where she shares posts not just about FGE but also life in our world. FGE co-founder Benjamin Bidlack has a similar personal Facebook page.
Advanced Participants have the ability to subscribe to our quarterly releases to have access to our videos 24/7. The registration process, cost for auditing the workshop and subscription prices are the same.
Letter from a January, 2018 BANG Instructor Trainee
I have attached the link below to my Freedom BANG Instructor/Trainee Video Submission.
Thank you for creating such a wonderful dance fitness experience!
This class is truly “more than just exercise” for me.
No matter the outcome, I am beyond grateful to have the opportunity to discover a new way to feel more empowered and confident through this innovative format.
Everyone I have met who represents the BANG brand has been SO encouraging, SO engaging and SO approachable. The BANG family is inviting, kind, fun and most importantly, relatable! They break all the preconceived stereotypes of a fitness instructor …
Thank you for cultivating a new category in the fitness world where the wallflowers, the self conscious, the timid, and the self doubters alike can explore and grow in a safe place where being *yourself* is acknowledged and celebrated.
…the music, the environment, the presentation…and the challenge(s) has brought me back to life. BANG keeps me excited and motivated… helps me power through all the other icky stuff life throws our way …